The kitchen is known as the heart of the home. It is here where families convene, friends converse and memorable holiday cuisines are prepared. An attractive kitchen is also a reliable source for enhancing the overall value of your property. That’s why when selling your home, many potential buyers view the kitchen as the most important room in the house, and an area that may serve as a make-or-break factor in whether or not this is the place for them.
A major kitchen overhaul can be very costly, yet equally effective when placing your home on the market. While not everyone can afford the cost of a possible $75,000 full-scale remodel, there are simple, wallet-friendly steps you can take to spruce up the heart of your home with a surface renovation. Here are the top 10 do-it-yourself tips for updating your kitchen and making it sparkle:
1. Stick to the Plan – The key to keeping your kitchen update within budget is by not changing the existing layout. Use what you have to make the job easier and much more affordable. This will also keep any plumbing or electrical costs to a minimum.
Replacing the handles and knobs on your cabinetry and drawers can enhance the design of your kitchen.
2. Accessorize – You’d be surprised with how replacing the old knobs and handles on your cabinetry and drawers can make a difference in your design. Today’s hardware comes in any shape or design you can imagine, and can pull a room together with a polished, clean look.
3. The Magic of Paint – New paint makes everything look clean and bright again. And don’t forget the ceiling. Applying a fresh coat to your kitchen is an easy, inexpensive, effective way to revive the room. Have fun with it, and paint the trim a contrasting color, or create an accent wall by using a different shade of the same color. Try to stick to neutral colors, as an overbearing scheme can turn off some potential buyers.
4. Everything but the Kitchen Sink – Replace the faucet and update it with a more sleek, stylish model available at any home improvement store. The work is not difficult and just requires a few basic tools. But the outcome does wonders for the look and design of your kitchen.
5. Make a Splash – Updating the backsplash can add a new dimension of style and creativity to your design. This project can be done with a bit of tile, a new coat of paint, wallpaper, or even beadboard.
Installing a rack above your island creates a stunning focal point.
6. Shade for Your Island – Does your kitchen have an island? If so, install a pot rack over the island to save space while adding an interesting focal point.
7. Save Face – Do your appliances clash with the new design of your kitchen? You can update your appliances without buying new ones by replacing the panels to your dishwasher, stove, or refrigerator to match your new color scheme or even your cabinet door color.
8. On the Surface – If your existing countertop is old, worn or outdated, try replacing it with some new tile. This can be done pretty inexpensively, especially if you don’t have a lot of counterspace. Again, try to keep it neutral.
9. Let there be Light – Creating the best lighting design for your kitchen is like cooking a great meal; you have to have the right recipe and the proper ingredients. Ceiling lighting sources can be replaced with updated fixtures or designs, many of which utilize brighter, energy efficient bulbs. Adding under-cabinet lighting eliminates shadows created by ceiling lights placed close to cabinets. Plus, they create abundant light to help you see your meal preparing projects better.
10. Look Down – Once all the other work is completed, look to the floors to complete your updated package. Choose flooring that is easy to maintain, since spills, drops and accidents of all sorts happen in the kitchen. Think function before beauty when it comes to the kitchen floor. Rest assured, with all the styles and designs available today, there are plenty of beautiful choices.
Posted by Traffic Realty